If you have stumbled across this review, you have either heard of the Hatch Baby Grow Smart Changing Pad and Scale, or you are looking for a better weight to monitor your babies weight gain and breastfeeding habits.
My personal rating of this product would be 9 out of 10, and as you can see it has a 4.2 out of 5 star rating on Amazon. The price point is about $130 bucks. Keep reading to weigh your options and find out if this scale is for you.
About the Product
The Hatch Baby Grow Smart Changing Pad and Scale is a changing pad that would fit on any standard size changing table or dresser that offers the ability to monitor and track your baby’s growth and eating habits through an app that you download on your smart phone.
The device is wireless and runs on battery power, and you will get notifications when the batteries are running low. The app can be downloaded to multiple smart phones or tablets so that the whole family can keep track of baby’s growth. The app has the ability to track weight, length, feedings, diapers, and sleep patterns.
You can use this device to track how much breast milk a baby is eating to make sure he is transferring milk properly and to help determine how much he is getting throughout the day. This will help with planning for when mom might be away from the baby. In order to do this, place the baby on the pad before and after each feeding and the information will be sent through WiFi directly to your smart phone or tablet.
The Hatch Baby Smart Changing Pad and Scale uses information from the World Health Organization (WHO) to monitor your baby’s growth against growth charts and determine what percentile he is in, similar to how the pediatrician does. However, this is all tracked and recorded in your app for future reference.
It can be used to monitor and track multiple babies at a time and can monitor babies that weigh up to 44 pounds.
Who would it be good for?
This product would be great for:
- a premature baby
- a baby who struggles with weight gain
- a baby who has a difficult time transferring breast milk
- parents who love data and want to keep track of their baby’s growth
- the mother who wants to know how much breast milk the baby is drinking
- tracking all of these things closely will help any parent learn more about their child’s daily habits and patterns and could help them pick up on something that may be wrong more quickly
This would be very beneficial for a mother who is returning to work in helping her determine how much breast milk a baby will need at daycare.
- Fits on top of most changing tables and dressers
- Wireless system
- Uses a very comprehensive App called the Grow App that can be used with a smart phone or tablet
- Multiple parents or caregivers can download the App and see all the information that has been transmitted
- Can be used for multiple babies
- Is easy to clean with a baby wipe, towel or other cleaning cloth
- No small or dangerous parts are included
- Shows measurements within 0.25 of an ounce for weights and feedings
- No calculations are required to monitor feedings, the app does it for you
- Made of a comfortable soft foam material
- There are waterproof washable liners available at an additional cost if you would like extra protection
- There are rubber feet on the bottom of the pad to prevent movement while baby is on it
- Resonibly priced for the features it offers
- Records all the data in one central location that can be easily accessed and navigated
- A wireless internet or blue tooth connection is required in order for the pad to transmit information to the app
- information is only available through the app, no readings will show up on the pad itself
- Must have a smart phone or tablet that is compatible with the pad in order to use the product
- It is not intended for traveling
Overall this is a great product that has many benefits, especially for first time parents who intend to breastfeed or for parents of premies! The only real drawbacks to this product is that you have to use an app in order to see any of the data collected. It would be nice if the weight showed up directly on the pad itself. However, it is nice that everything is stored in one location for you. This makes it easy to discuss any concerns you may have with your pediatrician as all the data will essentially be in your pocket! My overall rating is 9 out of 10 for the simple reason that there is no option to use the scale without the app and the lack of portability of the product.
I would personally say that this product is worth purchasing if you are interested in keep track of your babies growth and feedings, especially if your baby is struggling with weight gain or transferring milk. If your baby is not struggling with weight gain and you are not too concerned with his growth or if you are exclusively pumping or formula feeding, you probably will not get as much out of this pad and it might not be worth the expense to you.
This would also make an excellent baby shower gift!