My overall rating would be a 7 out of 10. Continue reading for my in depth Medela Pump In Style Advanced reviews.
The medela Pump in Style Advanced is a high quality electric double breast pump. It is currently one of the most popular breast pumps available on the market today. The popularity makes sense because it is highly portable, even the most basic package comes with a built in carrying case.
It is also very user-friendly, there are only two controls you have to know about, a dial to adjust suction level and a button that activates the 2 phase expression system. This feature helps you alternate between a faster and a slower setting to help stimulate a milk let down. You can see these controls in the picture listed above.
There is also an attached yellow plug that can be used to plug up one of the tubing outlets, this allows for you to use the single pumping feature without loosing suction.
The starter kit comes with the Pump, tubing kit, 2 breast shield connectors, 2 valves and membranes, 2 breast shields size 24 mm, 2 breast shields size 27 mm, a 9 volt ac adapter, a battery back that requires 8 AA batteries that are not included, 2 breast milk collection containers with lids, 8 disposable nursing pad samples, and an instruction manual.
- High portability! The starter kit itself comes with a built in carrying case, but there are many upgraded packages that have built in totes or book bags.
- 2 phase expression system
- Very user-friendly, there are only 2 controls and no digital screen or features.
- Ability to be used as a single pump without loosing suction
- Comes with a battery pack for travel, there are also power adapters for the car available at an additional charge
- The collection containers can easily be traded out for any standard neck bottle, and there are also conversion kits available for extra purchase for many popular branded bottles with a wide neck.
- Great for everyday use
- The pump is a bit heavy, with just the starter kit option, the pump weighs around 5 pounds. If you upgrade to a tote or backpack, the weight is about 7 pounds. With all the things a mom has to carry around this extra weight can add up quickly.
- Loud! There are many pumps on the market today that are much quieter than this one.
- The suction power is greatly decreased when using the battery pack
- Lack of digital features! While the ease of the control systems on this pump are great for learning purposes, but some pumps are equipped with a wide range of digital features and settings. This pump has none of those.
- Unreliable warranty system.
The Medela Pump In Style Advance ranges in price from about $170 – $200 depending on what package you decide to purchase. Upgraded packages may include a tote or backpack, extra collection containers and lids and a cooler bag with ice pack.
The specific warranty available for any medela pump is a bit unclear, if you have an issue with your pump, you will need to contact Medela directly to discuss it. The decision to replace or repair a pump will be at their discretion based on the details of the problem, and the warranty is not valid unless the pump was purchased through one of their trusted distributors such as Aeroflow Breast Pumps.
I gave this product an overall rating of 7 out of 10. It is a great high quality efficient pump that is very easy to use, great for portability and has the flexibility to use a variety of collection bottles. However, I had to take off points for the lack of features, noise, weight and most importantly the difficult/unreliable warranty process.
I currently use this particular pump as my daily go to pump and have not had any issues with it. y baby sleeps like a rock so the noise does not bother her. I do wish it had some additional features though, and I am not a big fan of the decrease in suction while using it on battery power.
I would recommend this pump as a daily use pump because it is highly efficient and works very well at emptying the breasts. Just be mindful of the cons when making your final decision about which breast pump to purchase.
Where to Purchase
This pump is one that can be purchased through insurance. If you qualify, you may be able to get it for free from Aeroflow Breast Pumps. Aeroflow has an incredibly easy process and great customer service! Check it out here:
If you already know you can not get a free pump from insurance or you do not wish to go that route, you can still purchase this pump from Aeroflow, but you can also find it on Amazon as well.
That wraps up this review, I hope you found it helpful! Feel free to leave a comment, I will be sure to respond in a timely manner!